What is the goal of Mindful Eating?
We live in a fast-paced world where eating has become mindless. We eat on the run, at our desk while we’re working, and in front of the TV screen. The result is that we consume much more than we need, often without realizing it or truly enjoying what we’re eating.
Counter this tendency by practicing “mindful” eating: pay attention to what you eat, savor each bite, and choose foods that are both nourishing and enjoyable.
Mindful Eating will help you:
1. Reduce overeating and binge eating.
2. Lose weight and your Body Mass Index and also maintain your results.
3. It will help coping chronic eating problems such as anorexia and bulimia, and reduce anxious thoughts about food and your body.
4. It will help you to reduce the risk of getting type 2 diabetes. If you know that diabetes runs in your family, please take a moment and read this carefully:
Mindful Eating is using ALL your senses to eat:
1) Use your sight to look at food’s color and shape with full concentration. Is the color appealing to you? How many colors the food represent?
2) Smell a food’s aroma—both cooked and uncooked. Can you tell when something is fresh or spoiled? Is it boiled, broiled, grilled, steamed or fried?
3) Taste a food by letting it linger in your mouth for a long time, chewing it and extracting all the flavor it has to give you. Do you like (or dislike) it? Feel is as your tongue taste it, is it sweet, salty, sour, spicy, bitter, bittersweet, or tangy?
4) Experience details of a food’s texture and sound as you chew. Is the texture, soft, hard, melting, crunchy, crispy, silky, moist, creamy, buttery, juicy, grainy, delicate, fruity, nutty, mellow, fully bodied or jelly like? Is it richly flavored? Which kind?
5) Hear food as you crunch, munch, and pop it in your mouth. Tune your ear to hear the sound as you swallow the food.
6) Sense of awareness: being mindful of your awareness, deliberately paying attention, non-judgmentally, being aware of what is present for you mentally, emotionally and physically in each moment.
How to practice Mindful Eating? ~ C.H.E.W.S~